Why use online dating sites?Here are just a few:
- Convenience – you can search for potential partners right from your phone or computer without having to get dressed up or go out. placeholder
- Time efficiency – if you only have a few minutes here and there; that is really all it takes with online dating sites. placeholder
- Selectivity – if you have a particular type of person in mind; say someone who shares your hobbies or interests – it is easy to look for and find exactly those kinds of people.
“Old School” versus New:In the past our only real options for meeting people were to hang out in clubs, meet people at work or make new contacts through mutual friends. All of those methods still work. They are still great ways to meet people. But there are two main disadvantages with those old style ways of meeting people that are pretty much eliminated with internet dating:
- Compatibility: It is a “shotgun” approach – everything is left to chance as far as the kind of people you might meet. If you are really into football and she hates sports; that might make for a less than ideal relationship. It does not mean that it will – opposites do attract, as they say – but if you are both into cycling then you automatically have a shared interest that can give you something to talk about and connect with. placeholder
- Having similar needs and wants: If you are mainly interested in a friends with benefits arrangement or maybe just a meet up for sex; and she is looking for someone to start a family with; well, that could make for a short and none too pleasant relationship.
Use a shotgun, or a laser?
But there’s more:I am not even going to try to list a lot of different sites that try to serve a lot of different interests. But I will mention just a few things you should keep in mind when you are looking for an online dating site to use:
- Stick with sites that have been around for a long time. Internet dating websites come and go so fast that if you blink you will miss them. Stick with using well established sites that have been around for a long time. You are much more likely to find a reputable site that will deliver a good user experience. placeholder
- Try to use larger paid or free online dating sites with a broad membership base. You need a site that serves the area that you live in. One that primarily serves people who are looking for the same things that you are. But many of us live in smaller; or even rural areas. For that reason, selecting larger sites will give you a better chance of finding someone in your area. Your odds of finding someone who shares your interests go way up that way. placeholder
- Do look for sites that allow a “free trial”. You should not have to spring for a paid membership just to browse some user profiles. You need to see if there are actually potential partners living in your area. It doesn’t do you much good to find that everyone you might like to meet lives 300 miles away. Sites have something to hide if they do not let you get started without an upfront fee. That something is usually that the site just is not going to work for you.